Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Larry Bush-Jupiter Courier: Pete & Alice: 'Wanted to build golf courses'

Life for golf course architects Pete and Alice Dye has become like a quote from the Bible, and I’m paraphrasing here: “Whither thou goest, I will follow.”
They have been married for 63 years, they have lived in Gulf Stream since 1970, and they spend 300 days a year on the road.
Plum Creek Country Club
And most of it is in the U.S.
Unlike many equally well-known architects who number their new and renovated projects in the hundreds, the Dyes have only 90 to 95 identifiable courses. There’s the famed Casa de Campo in the Dominican Republic, a couple of projects in Switzerland, and the rest carry the label of Made in America.
Included are The Dye Preserve west of Jupiter and the Dye course at the PGA Golf Club in Port St. Lucie.
Not bad for a World War II greenskeeper who decided he didn’t like the insurance business despite achieving Million Dollar Roundtable membership status back in Indianapolis.
“I wanted to build golf courses,” he said recently during a PGA Speaker Series appearance in Port St. Lucie. “I’ve always been interested in golf course maintenance. The only way I could get done what I wanted was to build it myself.
He started with a nine-hole course in his native Urbana, Ohio.Read More

Book a Tee Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment