Monday, July 16, 2012

Pete Dye "Builds".

People frequently ask me, "How many golf courses has Pete Dye designed?" I was never sure of the exact number, I am not sure anyone knows for sure, so I would answer, "hundreds". After a recent visit with Mr. Dye, I now know the exact answer.


None.


If you had the chance to ask Mr. Dye in person, he would tell you,  "I never "designed" a golf course in my life. I have built a few, but never designed one."


As a golf lifer, that comment was enlightening. In the media, we always hear about the great designs, when in reality the prebuild drawings or design has very little to do with the final product. It is the build that makes them great. The ability to move and shape to create the final product. The ability to predict where the water will drain, where the ball will land and how the ball will roll. This can only be done during the build process, in conjunction with those doing the moving and shaping.












So my new answer is, "He has built hundreds."








Here is a list of the golf courses "built" in Indiana. If I missed any please let me know.The highlighted courses are the members of the Pete Dye Golf Trail.
Public
The Pete Dye Course - French Lick Resort
Maple Creek Country Club (formerly Heather Hills Country Club) - Indianapolis
Eagle Creek Golf Club (Pines and Sycamore Courses) at Eagle Creek Park - Indianapolis
Sahm Golf Course - Indianapolis
The Fort Golf Course - Fort Harrison State Park - Indianapolis
Birck Boilermaker Golf Complex at Purdue University (Kampen Course) - West Lafayette
Oak Tree Golf Course (front nine) - Plainfield
Mystic Hills Golf Course - Culver
Forest Park - Brazil
Private
Maple Creek Golf & Country Club - Indianapolis First 18 Hole design


Dye's Walk  (formerly Eldorado Country Club) - Greenwood Very first design - Back Nine.

No comments:

Post a Comment